Again a one pot dish that I love cooking on holidays. This is a slightly elaborate recipe but if you can multitask you can cook it on 30 mins flat like I managed today.
Recipe is inspired from http://www.vahrehvah.com/popvideo.php?recipe_id=1310&Vegetable%20biryani
1. Soak 2 cups of Basmati rice
for 30 mins in water.
2. Cook it in boiling water. Add salt and 2-3 cloves, 1 bay leaf
while cooking. Drain the rice when around 70% done and keep aside.
3. Add 2 tbsp ghee
in a flat pan. Add whole garam masala – 2 bay leaf, 4-5 cloves, 4-5 black pepper, 2 cardamom, 2 tsp cumin seeds
4. Add 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
5. Add 1 cup carrots, potato and cauliflower
all cut into big pieces
6. Add salt to taste and cook till vegetables are around 70% cooked
7. Add 1 cup mint leaves, 1 cup coriander leaves and 3 green chillies
slit lengthwise into two. Add ½ cup of fried onions
8. Add 3 tbsp Garam Masala
(you can add Biryani Masala if you have it readily available)
9. Add 1 cup curd
and mix all this well. Now add 1/2 cup of Paneer
10. Now take a flat vessel and spread ¾ of the vegetable mixture at the base. Check this for seasoning and adjust salt if needed
11. Spread ¼ cup curd. Now add a layer of rice (use ½ of the cooked rice)
12. Add cashew, almonds, ½ cup of mint, ½ cup of coriander and ½ cup of fried onions.
Add the remaining vegetable mixture and rice and add saffron
soaked in water
13. Cook this whole flat vessel by covering it with a lid for 5 mins by keeping the vessel on a tawa to avoid burning the base of the biryani.
14. Serve with Curd/raita