Amritsari Murgh Makhani
May 17, 2015 Posted by Shweta Shanbhag
I love creamy buttery tomato gravies. I was looking for a good recipe online and came across this good North Indian curry recipe for boneless chicken from chef Aditya Bal. You can call this a butter chicken recipe. I am sure you will like it. Not very spicy as the tomato base and the cream tone down the spiciness of this dish.
Here is my recipe for Amritsari Murgh Makhani.
500 gm chicken pieces (boneless)
6 small tomatoes
2 inch piece of ginger, 7-8 pods of garlic
2 green chillies – finely chopped
3 tsp curd
Juice of 1 lemon
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Cumin powder – 2 tsp
Red chilli powder – 3 tsp
Kasoori methi – 1 tsp
Corinder leaves – freshly chopped
- For the marinade, blend together onions, 1 inch ginger and 7-8 garlic pods in a grinder.
- Add to this curd, 2 tsp red chilli powder,1 tsp coriander and cumin powder, lemon juice and salt
- Marinate the chicken with the above marinade and keep aside for 2 hours.
- Blend the tomatoes to a puree and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp butter in a pan and add the marinated chicken to it. Saute on medium heat and cook till the chicken is 70-80% cooked.
- In parallel in another pan, heat 1 tbsp butter and add 1 tsp each of red chilli powder, coriander powder and cumin powder and saute
Add 1 inch of finely chopped ginger and chopped green chilli.
- Fry for some time. Add tomato puree and cook till the raw smell of tomatoes goes away.
- Add the puree to the chicken and mix well. Add 2 tbsp cream and adjust the salt. You can add a pinch of sugar to balance the tomatoes.
- Add around 1 tsp finely crushed kasoori methi.
- Let it cook on low flame for a good 10-15 minutes.
- Garnish with more fresh cream, finely chopped green chillies and coriander leaves and serve with rotis.
Note: You can add red food colour if you want a restaurant style curry.
2 thoughts on “Amritsari Murgh Makhani”
I tried out this recipe and it turned out awesome. Thanks for this fabulous, yummy recipe.
Thanks Dianna for stopping by and your comments 🙂