Methi Malai Chicken (Chicken in a cream based gravy with fenugreek leaves)
January 25, 2015 Posted by Shweta Shanbhag
Here is how I made it.
- Clean and marinate 500 gms of boneless chicken with salt and keep aside for an hour.
- Make a paste of 1 small onion, 4 green chillies , 1 inch piece of ginger, 3 garlic cloves, 1 tbsp cashewnuts, 2 tsp poppy seeds (khus-khus) in a grinder. User water to get a fine paste. Keep aside.
- Blanch 2 medium tomatoes, peel out the skin and grind it to a puree and keep aside.
- Take a pan and add 1 tbsp ghee and saute the chicken till it is almost cooked on a medium flame. Cook till almost 80% done and keep aside to rest.
- Wash about a cup of methi (fenugreek leaves). Squeeze out the water and chop them finely and sprinkle some salt and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of butter in another pan and add 1 tsp cumin seeds and 1/2 tsp shahi jeera seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the methi (squeeze out any excess water) and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the fenugreek leaves and keep aside.
- Add 1 tbsp butter in the same kadhai, add 2 grated small onions and saute till translucent.
- Add the cashew nut paste and saute for 2 mins. Add the tomato puree and saute for 2 mins.
- At this point check the consistency of the gravy. You can cool the gravy and blend it in a mixer if you want a finer gravy.
- Add 2 tsp of garam masala powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the fenugreek, cooked chicken or 1 cup of green peas(if you are making the methi malai matar), 1/2 cup milk, a pinch of sugar and salt.
- Add 2 tbsp of fresh cream and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rotis.