Hara Murgh (Chicken in a Green Spinach Coriander Mint curry)
May 27, 2015 Posted by Shweta Shanbhag
So does your chicken become healthy if you add spinach to it ?? Most of the curries we cook in Indian cuisine are red or orange in colour. I wanted to experiment with all things green and a green base to my Sunday chicken curry. So made this dish with all things green in the kitchen.
Spicy and tasty chicken and you dont feel as guilty because of the spinach in it !!
Here is my recipe for Hara Murgh or Chicken in a Green Spinach Coriander Mint curry
500 gms chicken
2 onions finely chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
2 bay leaves
2 tbsp cream
For the green masala
1/2 cup mint
1 cup coriander leaves
1 cup blanched spinach
3-4 green chillies
1/2 cup curd
7-8 garlic cloves
1 inch ginger
- Make a marinade of all the ingredients for green masala above.
- Add it to the chicken. Add salt according to taste and keep aside for an hour
- Take a heavy bottom pan. Add 1 tbsp oil to the pan.
- When hot, add 1 tsp cumin seeds and 1 bay leaves. When they start spluttering, add finely chopped onion and saute till translucent. You can add some salt to hasten the process.
- Add the marinated chicken with all the marinade to the pan.
- Add the cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, red chilli powder and turmeric
- Mix well and add some water if you want a gravy like consistency. Cover and cook for 20 mins or till the chicken is well cooked.
- Add cream to the gravy and cook for 3-4 mins
- Garnish with mint, cream and finely chopped ginger and serve with chapatis or rice.