Kolmbo (Konkani mixed vegetable Sambar)
September 1, 2015 Posted by Shweta Shanbhag
Kolmbo is a Konkani sambar with mixed vegetables and daal with the typical Konkani flavors of corinader seeds, coconut, red chillies and tamarind. This is made regularly in Konkani households and is very nutritious as it has many different kinds of vegetables in it. With all the vegetables and daal, one always ends up making enough sambar to last 2-3 meals for a family of 4.
150 gms toor daal
1 tbsp bengal gram daal/ chana daal
1 tsp coriander seeds/dhaniya
½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
¼ tsp fenugreek seeds/methi
6 red chillies
½ inch piece cinnamon
3-4 pepper corns
Marble sized piece of tamarind
4 tbsp freshly grated coconut
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 sprig curry leaves
10 -12 green beans
3-4 cauliflower florets
1 small potatoes with skin
1 small carrot
2-3 brinjal cut into 4 pieces
- Boil toor daal with a pinch of turmeric powder and 2 drops of oil in water. If using the pressure cooker, add 3 times the water to the daal and cook for 3 whistles.
- Heat a pan and take 2 tsp sunflower oil. Roast chana daal, pinch of asafoetida,coriander seeds, cumin, red chillies, cinnamon, cloves, pepper corn, 1 sprig curry leaf and coconut till brown. Let it cool and then grind to a smooth paste along with tamarind
- Cut brinjal, potatoes and tomatoes into 4 pieces each. Cut drumstick into 2 inch long pieces. Roughly chop all the other vegetables into big pieces(1 to 2 inch pieces) .
- Cook vegetables separately in little water adding potatoes, carrots, beans and drumsticks first. Cook it for 5 mins and then add cauliflower, brinjal and tomatoes and cook till the vegetables are soft. You can add a little salt here while cooking them.
- Now its time to mix everything. Heat a vessel and add the cooked daal, vegetables and the masala. Add a handful of finely chopped coriander leaves. Adjust the water to get the consistency of a thick sambar. Add salt to taste and cook for 10 mins or till a good boil.
- For the seasoning, heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. When hot add mustard seeds and once they start popping add a pinch of asafoetida and curry leaves. I prefer coconut oil here for the authentic taste . Add the seasoning to the kolmbo and cover it with a lid. Remove from the flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice.
One thought on “Kolmbo (Konkani mixed vegetable Sambar)”