Konkani Fish curry with Onion and Ginger Base (Alle Kande Ambat)
May 6, 2015 Posted by Shweta Shanbhag
Around 500 to 600 gms of Black Pomfret (You can also use white pomfrets, lady fish or prawns too) – cleaned and cut into thin curry cut pieces
1 tsp of fenugreek seeds
5-6 whole dry red chillies
1 cup of grated coconut
pinch of turmeric powder
1 inch ball of tamarind
1 onion finely chopped
2 green chillies slit at the centre
2-3 Dried Sol/Kokum
1. Wash the fish thoroughly, apply a little salt and set aside.
2. Take a small pan, add 1 tsp coconut oil and when hot, add 1 -2 tsp coriander seeds, pinch of fenugreek seeds and 5-6 whole dry red chillies. Saute lightly for 2 mins
3. Grind them with 1 cup of grated coconut, pinch of turmeric powder and 1 inch ball of tamarind to a fine paste.
4. Take a bigger pan. Heat 2 tsp coconut oil and add onion and ginger and saute till pink. Add a pinch of fenugreek seeds, 2 green chillies and saute. You can use any other oil, but coconut oil gives it a distinct Konkani flavor.
5. Add the coconut paste and fry for 2-3 mins. Add 2-3 cups of water and let the mixture come to a good boil. I also add 2-3 Dried Sol for added sourness.
6. Now add the fish and let the curry come to a good boil. Adjust the salt according to taste. This fish cooks within 5 mins – take care not to overcook it.
7. Serve hot with plain rice.