Kerala Vegetable Stew
March 14, 2015 Posted by Shweta Shanbhag
1 Onion – finely chopped
1 inch ginger
5-6 garlic flakes
2 handful of curry leaves
2-3 finely chopped green chillies
1 cup of thin coconut milk
1/2 to 3/4 cup of thick coconut milk
Coconut Oil – 2 tsp
1/2 tsp black pepper
- Slice the carrot, potato and beans into cubes of equal sizes and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat 1 tsp coconut oil.
- Add the whole spices and saute till for 2 mins.
- Add finely chopped onion to it and saute it. Add finely chopped 1 ginger and garlic flakes and saute till the onions become transparent. Don’t let it become brown.
- Add 1 handful of curry leaves and finely chopped green chillies and saute it for a few more minutes.
- Add the sliced vegetables and saute well.
- Now add 1 cup of thin coconut milk *, salt and bring it to boil.
- Lower the flame, cover and cook it till vegetables are soft for around 10 mins.
- Now add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of thick coconut milk * and cook for another five more minutes.
- Garnish with curry leaves fried in coconut oil.
- You can serve this vegetable stew with chapatis, appams or rice.
*Thick and Thin Coconut milk
- Take 1/2 coconut and grate it. Blend it in the mixer with water and a pinch of salt to a fine paste. Strain the first batch and this gives you thick coconut milk
- When the same leftover coconut is again blended in the mixer with more water and strained, you get a batch of thin coconut milk.