Puli Koddel (Konkani Ash gourd Curry)
November 28, 2014 Posted by Shweta Shanbhag
Puli Koddel is one such dish which we had never cooked at our home but is a delicacy for Yash’s family. So I decided to learn this one and cooked it the other day. Turned out pretty much like it is cooked at Yash’s home in Dakshin Kanara.
3 tsp coriander seeds
3 tsp till seeds
2 tsps black gram dal
2 tsps bengal gram dal
pinch of turmeric
pinch of asafoetida (hing)
1 tsp raw rice
3 tbsp grated coconut
8 dried red chillies
1 lime sized jaggery
1 marble sized tamarind
1 tsp mustard seeds
- Roast 3 tsp coriander seeds, 3 tsp till seeds, 2 tsps black gram dal, 2 tsps bengal gram dal, pinch of turmeric, pinch of asafoetida (hing), 1 tsp raw rice, 3 tbsp grated cocounut, 8 dried red chillies with a little oil till brown.
- Grind all ingredients with 1 marble sized tamarind to a coarse paste
- In a vessel, boil deskinned ash gourd(I used about 1/4 of an ash gourd) cut into 1 inch pieces with sufficient water. Add 1 lime sized jaggery while boiling.
- Now when the ash gourd is sufficiently soft, add the ground masala. Adjust the salt and bring it to boil.
- Remove from flame.
- In a small pan, give tempering of 1 tsp mustard seeds and handful of curry leaves. Add it to the koddel and cover for the flavors to assimilate in the curry.
- Eat with hot rice.