Prawn Curry in Coconut milk
July 22, 2015 Posted by Shweta Shanbhag
Grated Coconut – 2 cups
250 gms prawns
1 medium sized onion
2 tomatoes- finely chopped
Ginger – 1 inch piece, julienned
5-6 Garlic flakes – finely chopped
2 green chilli – slit in the middle
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp black pepper powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp mustard seeds
Lemon grass – cut into 5-6 2 inch pieces
Coriander leaves – handful
- For the coconut milk: Take 2 cups of freshly grated coconut, add 1 cup of warm water and a pinch of salt and grind in a grinder. Strain it using a muslin cloth to extract the thick milk. Again add some water to the coconut and blend in a grinder and strain it to get thin coconut milk. Keep this aside. Alternatively you can use 1 can of coconut milk or coconut milk powder to make 1 cup of coconut milk.
- Add 2 tsp coconut oil in a pan. When hot, add 1 tsp mustard seeds and saute till they crackle.
- Add 1 split green chilli and saute for a minute. Add a pinch of asafoetida. Add 1 medium sized onion finely chopped and saute till translucent.
- Add finely chopped ginger and garlic and saute for 1 min
- Now add 1 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp black pepper powder, 1 tsp cumin powder and saute.
- Add 2 finely chopped tomatoes, mix well and cook for 5 mins.
- Add 1 lemon grass leaf chopped into 2 inch pieces. Add a handful of coriander stalks to the curry
- Add cleaned and de-veined prawns and saute for 4-5 mins till its well coated with all spices.
- Cover the lid and let this cook on a slow flame for 3-4 mins. The tomato will leave some water and the prawns will cook in the same.
- Now add the coconut milk. Add water if needed to adjust the consistency. Add salt according to taste. Cover and cook for 5 mins.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve with rice.