I had seen chicken being cooked this way in a cookery show but did not have the recipe written down. I tried making it using ingredients in my own way. It may not be the authentic recipe for Malwani chicken but tasty nevertheless.
1. Marinate 1 kg chicken with 2 tbsp red chilli powder, 1tsp turmeric and salt for at least an hour before cooking.
2. Cut 2 medium onions roughly, 1/2 cup coriander leaves, 2 green chillies, 10 flakes of garlic and 1 inch of ginger, handful of mint leaves and fry them till the onions turn slightly brown in texture on a pan without oil. Blend them in a mixer to get a coarse paste.
3. Dry roast 1 tsp coriander seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 inch cinnamon, 2-3 cardamoms, 4-5 cloves, 3-4 peppercorns. Blend them in a mixer to get a coarse powder.
4. Take oil in a vessel and saute the onion paste for 2-3 mins . Add the chicken and mix thoroughly. Add around 1 cup of water and let this cook for 20 mins or till the chicken is almost cooked.
5. Now add the dry masala powder and stir well.
6. Add 1 cup of dahi to give a rich texture to the chicken and cook for 5 mins.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves.
I made this slightly dry so that it tastes good with rice roti and chapatis. You can try adding more water if you want a gravy to go with rice.