Chicken Vindaloo (Goan cuisine)
August 3, 2014 Posted by Shweta Shanbhag
3 finely chopped medium sized onions
2 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreed seeds
7-8 dried red chillies (I used Byadgi chillies)
1 tsp pepper seeds
1 bay leaf
2 inch cinnamon
10 garlic pods
1 inch of ginger
1/2 tsp turmeric
4 tbsp white vinegar
1 tsp of grated jaggery
- Dry roast 2 tsp coriander seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds,1/2 tsp fenugreed seeds, 7-8 dried red chillies (I used Byadgi chillies), 1 tsp pepper seeds, 1 bay leaf, 2 inch cinnamon, 2 cardamoms, 4-5 garlic pods, 1/2 inch of ginger for 2 mins on a low flame ensuring you dont char out the spices. Cool these spices and then grind them to a fine powder in the mixie.
- Marinate 750 gms of chicken with the spice mixture, salt, 1/2 tsp turmeric and 4 tbsp white vinegar. Add 1 tsp of grated jaggery and mix well. Let it rest on the kitchen counter for 3-4 hours. You can also leave the marinade overnight.
- Now take a pan and add 2 tbsp ghee to it. Once the ghee is hot, add 1 tsp of mustard seeds.
- When the seeds start spluttering, add 3-4 cloves. Now add 3 finely chopped medium sized onions. Add some salt and start sweating the onion till it is brown. finely grate 3-4 garlic pods and another 1/2 inch ginger into the pan and saute for another minute
- Now add the marinated chicken and saute it for 7-8 mins.
- Add 2 cups of water and let it cook with lid on for 30 mins on a low flame. Keep stirring occasionally. When the chicken is cooked, open the lid and cook for another 10 mins for the water to evaporate
- You will be left with a fine thick gravy. Garnish it with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve with rotis or rice.