Prawns Sukke ( Prawns in Dry Masala)
January 25, 2015 Posted by Shweta Shanbhag
Decided to cook this but since clams are not available here in Hyderabad, had to replace them with prawns in the recipe.
Try this simple recipe – its very quick and easy too.
500 gms of cleaned prawns (de-shelled and de- veined )
2 finely chopped onions
1 tsp ginger garlic paste (whenever possible, I try and make my own paste)
1 tsp each of finely chopped ginger and garlic
2 tsp coriander seeds
Pinch of turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
a pinch of fenugreek seeds
4 to 5 dry red chillies
Marble sized piece of tamarind
3-4 tbsps of grated coconut
1 tsp of mustard seeds
Handful of curry leaves
- Place 500 gms of cleaned prawns in a bowl, add salt, pinch of turmeric powder, 1 tsp red chilli powder and 1 tsp ginger garlic paste and mix well. Let them marinate for 1 hour if possible.
- Take a dry pan and heat it. When the pan is hot, add 2tsp coriander seeds, a pinch of fenugreek seeds and 4 to 5 dry red chillies and dry roast it till fragrant. Let it cool and then blend it in the mixer with 1 marble sized piece of tamarind and 2-3 tsp of grated coconut and some water to a coarse paste. Keep aside
- In another non stick pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil (coconut oil will give it additional flavor). Add 1 tsp of mustard seeds and when they splutter add a handful of curry leaves.
- Add 2 finely chopped onions to the pan and saute them till translucent.
- Add 1 tsp each of finely chopped ginger and garlic and saute it well.
- Add the masala paste and saute well. Add the prawns and coat it well in the masala. Add some water if needed and Let it cook for 10-15 mins or till cooked.
- Adjust the salt.
- Garnish with 2 tbsp grated coconut (the more the better ;)) and lots of finely chopped coriander leaves.