June 22, 2013 Posted by Shweta Shanbhag
Tried this recipe and must say I loved it.
2 cups of grated carrots
2 cups Maida (flour)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 eggs well
2 cups sugar (I used brown sugar)
100 gms of butter
1 tsp cinammon powder
1 tsp zest of orange
50 gms Sultanas/Raisins
- Preheat the oven at 160 degree for 10 minutes before baking.
- For the cake dough, mix 2 cups Maida (flour), 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda and keep aside.
- In a glass bowl, beat 2 eggs well. Add 2 cups sugar (I used brown sugar) and beat well. Add 100 gms of butter and beat well.
- Add the flour and keep on beating until mixed well. Add some milk in case the mixture is too thick and more flour in case the mixture is too thin. Slowly add 2 cups of grated carrots and fold in well.
- Add 1 tsp of cinammon powder and 1 tsp orange zest powder which gives additional taste to the cake and goes very well with the carrot flavor.
- Make sure that there are no lumps. You can add vanilla essence if you want but I avoided it. I added some raisins for additional flavor. If you have time, you can soak the raisins in some orange juice so that they are juicy while using.
- Grease a cake tin with butter and flour and then pour the cake batter into it. Bake for approx 30 mins at 160° C in the pre heated oven (or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean)
- Remove the tin from the oven and allow to cool on a rack. When completely cooled remove from the tin.
- This cake has a nice brown caramalised colour to it.