August 15, 2013 Posted by Shweta Shanbhag
Here is my version of the recipe with some variations.
- Preheat the over at 160 degrees Celsius for 15 mins.
- In the meantime, add 200 gms flour, 200 gms powdered sugar, 1 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp baking soda, 50 gms cocoa powder, 200 gms butter, 2 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla extract , and 100 gms of Hung curd (Nigella uses Sour cream) into a bowl and mix well. I generally mix with a wooden spatula but you could use a cake mixer.
- Mix till you get a a smooth, thick batter. In case the batter is very thick you can add some milk to get it to the right consistency.
- Prepare a baking tin with butter and sprinkle flour on it.
- Add the cake mixture – spread it out evenly and out it into the oven
- Bake it in the oven for 40 mins, but start checking at 30 mins.You can check the centre of the cake with a tester. The cake is ready when the tester comes out clean.
- Remove the cake to a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes before removing them from the tin
- To make the frosting, melt 100 gms of dark chocolate and 100 gms butter in a bowl in a microwave for 2 mins. I grated the slab of chocolate so that it melts easily. Add 100 gms powdered sugar and keep mixed well so that there are no lumps. You can add 1 tsp cornflour so that the mixture thickens. Add some 2 tsp hung curd and mix well. Make it so that the consistency is right to coat the cake. Dont bother if it is runny as it will harden over the cake eventually.
- Spread it evenly over the cake. Let it cool.
- Sprinkle some grated chocolate on top and the cake is ready to eat.