Chickpeas Pulao with Cucumber Mint Raita
November 10, 2014 Posted by Shweta Shanbhag
1 inch ginger
3-4 pods of garlic
2 finely sliced green chilies
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp butter and 2 tsp ghee
For the raita
1 handful of finely chopped mint
1 finely chopped spring onion(both whites and greens)
2 small green chillies finely chopped
1 cup curd
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp chat powder
1/2 tsp rock salt
- Soak 1 cup of chickpeas overnight and pressure cook it in the morning for 3-4 whistles.
- Wash and soak 1 cup of Basmati rice in water for at least 10 minutes.
- Make a powder of 1 tsp aniseed, 3-4 cloves, 2 inch of cinnamon and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tsp butter and 2 tsp ghee in a pressure cooker. When hot, add 1 tsp cumin seeds. When the start crackling add the aniseed powder mentioned above. Add grated 1 inch ginger and 3-4 pods of garlic. Add 2 finely sliced green chilies and mix well
- While sauteing, add 2 finely sliced onions and continue sauteing. Add some salt and saute till the onions are pink in color
- Add 2 finely chopped tomatoes and 1/2 cup of blanched spinach and cook for 2 mins.
- Next add 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp garam masala powder and mix well.
- Let it cook for 2 mins, till the raw taste of the masalas is gone.
- Add rice and chick peas and add 3 cups of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles. After 2 whistles, let the pressure cooker cool before you open it.
- Sprinkle some chaat masala while serving.
- I served this with Cucumber Mint raita, the recipe for which follows.
Cucumber Mint Raita
- Grate 1 cucumber; place it into a sieve and drain out the excess water
- Add 1 handful of finely chopped mint. Add 1 finely chopped spring onion(both whites and greens). Add 2 small green chillies finely chopped.
- Now add 1 cup curd, salt, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1/2 tsp chat powder and 1/2 tsp rock salt. Add normal salt while adjusting for salt and mix well.
- Refrigerate before serving