Corn Palak pulao
September 25, 2015 Posted by Shweta Shanbhag
Basmati Rice – 2 cups
Onions – 2 finely chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
1 bay leaf
5-6 black peppercorns
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
Spinach – 1 cup
Sweet corn kernels – 1/2 cup
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp cumin powder
- Wash the basmati rice and keep aside to remove the starchy content.
- Heat 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp oil in a pan, and when hot add whole garam masalas – jeera, bay leaf, cloves, cardamom, black peppercorns, and 1 inch cinnamon stick. Saute a bit
- Now add onions finely chopped and saute till translucent.
- Now add ginger garlic paste and saute.
- Add finely chopped spinach and sweet corn kernels. I prefer chopping the sweet corn kernels into bite sized pieces and hence roughly chop them into 2 and saute.
- Add turmeric powder, garam masala powder and cumin powder and stir for 1 minute.
- Add drained rice and saute for 2 mins till the masala coats the rice well.
- You can transfer this to a rice cooker and cook it with 5 cups water – I prefer cooking pulaos in rice cooker as the rice is always cooked right and never turns soggy. Alternately, you can cook this in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles with 5 cups of water. Remember to adjust the salt before adding this to the cooker.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve with raita.
1. If you want the pulao to be green in colour, you can add blanched spinach paste instead of chopped spinach
2. You can also add some bite sized paneer pieces while adding the corn. Gives an added texture to the dish