March 31, 2012 Posted by Shweta Shanbhag
- Soak 1 cup urad dal in water for 3 to 4 hours.
- Wash and drain the urad dal and grind it to a smooth paste in a blender.
- Add a pinch of cooking soda and salt to the urad dal paste and mix well till the batter is light and fluffy. Add 2 tsp each of finely chopped ginger , green chillies, curry leaves and coconut. You can also add ginger, chillies to the urad dal while grinding it but I like the crunchiness and hence don’t grind them.
- Take oil in a kadhai for deep frying. Wet your hands with water and take around 1 tbsp of the batter and shape it into a circle and drop them into the hot oil. Cook the vadas on a slow flame till they are golden brown. This should take 7-8 mins for each batch.
- Drain on absorbent paper and keep aside . The vadas can be served with chutney as an evening snack. We call it biscuit ambado in Konkani.
- Soak the vadas in warm water for 10-15 mins. Take 2 cups curd, whisk it. Add salt, pinch of sugar, cumin powder, rock salt, chilli powder, and amchur powder according to taste.
- Remove the vadas from water and squeeze out the water and add it to the curd.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander and serve.