Egg Roast Kerala Style
October 30, 2014 Posted by Shweta Shanbhag
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 onions – finely chopped
1 finely chopped tomato
5-6 finely chopped cloves of garlic
1 inch ginger finely chopped
1 sprig of curry leaves
2-3 slit chillies
1/2 tsp turmeric
1tsp chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
2 tbsp coconut milk
1 to 2 tsp tomato puree
4 boiled eggs
Finely chopped coriander leaves
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, add 1 tsp cumin seeds and 1 tsp mustard seeds. When they splutter, add 5-6 finely chopped cloves of garlic, 1 inch ginger finely chopped and saute.
2. Add 2 finely chopped onions, 1/2 tsp salt and saute till the onion is slightly brown in color.
3. Add 1 sprig on curry leaves, 2-3 slit chillies, 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp coriander powder and 1/2 tsp garam masala powder and saute all till the raw smell of the masala is gone.
4. Add 1 finely chopped tomato and saute till the tomato is mushy.
5. Now add 2 tbsp coconut milk (I prepare coconut milk using coconut milk powder), 1 to 2 tsp tomato puree and mix well. Add 4 boiled eggs (I made some slits on them) to the base, mix well and cook for 4-5 mins on a slow flame.
6. Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
This dish goes well with appams, but we managed with rotis.