Dhaba Dal ( Kaali Dal)
November 6, 2014 Posted by Shweta Shanbhag
I always thought it was an extremely difficult dish to cook but have overcome my fears now. I cook it often now – tried different recipes, but this one here has turned out the best.
1 cup urad dal (chilkewaali urad dal)
1 tbsp of tomato puree
pinch of turmeric
2 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
1 tsp coriander seeds/dhania
1 tsp of fennel seeds/saunf
1 inch piece of cinnamon
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ginger finely chopped
1 tsp garlic finely chopped
Coriander leaves finely chopped
1. Cook 1 cup urad dal(chilkewaali urad dal) with salt and turmeric in it in a pressure cooker for 4-5 whistles.
2. In a pan, dry roast 1 tsp each of cumin, coriander seeds, saunf, 5-6 cloves and 1 inch piece of cinnamon.
3. Add some turmeric powder, 1 tsp chilli powder and roast some more. Add the salt. Make a fine powder of the spices. You can store this powder.
4. In a pan, take 1 tbsp of butter (the more the better ). Fry 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp ginger finely chopped and 1 tsp garlic finely chopped.
5. Add 2 medium sized onions finely chopped, pinch of salt and fry till translucent.
6. Add 2 finely chopped green chillies and 3 chopped tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes are mushy.
7. I also added 1 tbsp of tomato puree (store bought) for extra taste. Add 2 tsp of the powder and mix well
8. Add the cooked dal and mix well.Adjust the salt. You can add a pinch of sugar to balance out the tangy tomatoes. Cook for 10 mins on a slow flame.
9. Mix in 1 tbsp cream, Garnish with chopped coriander and serve. For added flavor, you can top it up with the spice powder that you had made earlier and some lime juice.