I ate this dish for the first time in a shack in Kerala and fell in love with it. It goes very well with Appam and I cook it very frequently as a side dish.
1. Marinate20-25 prawns with 1 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp chilli powder, ½ tsp garam masala and saltfor at least an hour
2. In a pan, add 2 tbsp coconut oil. Add2 twigs of Curry leaves, 2 finely diced green chillies, 1 big onion julienne . Add 1 inch of julienned ginger and 5-6 pods of garlic finely chopped. Add 1tspginger garlic paste.Saute all this till the onion is brown.
3. Add2 tomatoesfinely chopped and sauté
4. Add1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp garam masalaand1 tsp red chilli powderand cook all this till the oil separates
5. Now add the marinated prawns and cook
6. Add1 tsp tamarind pastefor the tangy flavour. Add salt according to taste
7. Add water to adjust the consistency
8. Cook for 10 mins on a low flame. Add curry leaves and 1 tsp garam masalajust before removing from flame.
9. Sprinkle freshly cut coriander leaves and serve with Appam or rice.
I come from a Konkani family from Karwar (North Karnataka) and I can say that cooking is the most discussed topic among all the women in the family. My mom, grand mom and aunts are all awesome cooks and conjuring elaborate, delicious dishes is how we show love and care for the family... Read More