Tomato & Spring onion Sambar
November 4, 2012 Posted by Shweta Shanbhag
The sambar came very close to what is offered in udupi restaurants.
- Chop around 20 stalks of spring onion along with the green leaves and keep aside. Finely chop 2 tomatoes and set aside.
- Boil 1/2 cup of toor dal and keep aside.
- Grind 1/2 cup of coconut, 2 tsp of cumin seeds, 2 tbsp of sambar powder, pinch of turmeric powder, 1 marble sized ball of tamarind and 1 tsp of jaggery powder to a fine paste with water and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan and add 2 tsp of mustard seeds. When they splutter add pinch of asafoetida and 1 sprig of curry leaves.
- Add the chopped Spring Onions & tomatoes and mix well. Cook till the onions and tomatoes are soft.
- Now add the ground paste, toor dal and 2 cups water and let the gravy boil for 5 mins. You can adjust the jaggery and salt now.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with steamed rice.