Palak Paneer (Cottage Cheese in Spinach Gravy)
May 24, 2015 Posted by Shweta Shanbhag
Palak Paneer is probably one of the most popular Indian recipes internationally. I cook this often as this is one of the tastiest recipe with spinach.
I have tried multiple variations of this dish but this is the recipe which I have now settled on and make regularly.
3 bunches of spinach/palak
250 gms paneer cut into cubes
2 finely chopped onions
7-8 garlic pods finely chopped
2 green chillies
1 bay leaf
pinch of asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Tomato puree – 2 tbsp
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp kasoori methi
2 tbsp fresh cream
- Clean thoroughly and blanch the spinach in a boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain the water and refresh with cold water.
- Blend the spinach and 2 green chillies in a mixie to a smooth puree and keep aside.This should give you approximately 2 cups of spinach puree.
- In a deep bottom pan, add 1 tbsp oil. Add 1 tsp cumin seeds and 1 bay leaf and saute.
- When the cumin seeds turn brown, add finely chopped onions and garlic and saute till the onions are translucent. Add a pincg of asafoetida and a pinch of turmeric while sauteing
- Add 2 tbsp tomato puree and saute well – here you can instead blanch a tomato and then blend it with the spinach
- Next add 1 tsp cumin powder and 1 tsp coriander powder.
- After 5 mins of sauteing add the spinach puree. Cook for a good 15 mins on a low flame without the lid on to retain the green colour of the spinach. Cook till the raw taste of spinach is gone. You will notice the oil separating from the spinach. You can add some water to adjust the consistency of the dish.
- Add 1 tsp kasoori methi crushed between your palms and 1/2 tsp garam masala and mix well
- Now its time to add the paneer cubes and mix well. Add 1 tbsp cream and cook for another 5 mins. Adjust the salt according to taste
- Serve with rotis or rice.
Note: I like to add some grated paneer along with the cubed paneer for added texture
If you have a variation that you love, do leave a comment below.