Chicken Thai Red curry
Thai red curry comes very close to Konkani curries with predominant coconut flavour and hence both hubby and me end up ordering it a lot when we eat out. One day I came across Thai red curry paste and thought I will try this. The gravy tasted so good that I make it very regularly and have also planted lemon grass and basil at home so that I can use freshly cut lemon grass and basil leaves in the curry. Here is how I cook it.
1. Marinate 250 gms of boneless chicken cubes with salt and pepper powder and keep aside some time.
2. In a saucepan, add 1 packet red thai curry paste (I use Real Thai Red Curry paste) and sauté on low flame
3. Add 2 cups of thick coconut milk to the paste and let it reach a boil. You can extract fresh coconut milk but since it is cumbersome I use store bought coconut milk powder and mix it with water. Simmer the mixture for 5 mins
4. Add 1tbsp soya sauce, 1 tbsp fish sauce, a pinch of sugar (brown sugar is preferable) and some lemon grass roughly chopped. Stir and simmer for 5 mins
5. Add around 10 basil leaves and remove from heat and keep aside.
6. In another non stick pan, add 2 tsp olive oil. When the oil is hot add the chicken cubes and sauté. Saute for 4-5 mins till the chicken cubes are no longer pink.
7. Add 1 cup of bell pepper diced into cubes, ½ cup of carrot diced into cubes, 1 cup of zucchini and 1 cup of broccoli cut into florets and sauté until the vegetables are done
8. Add the sauce that we kept aside earlier to the pan and simmer for 5 mins.
9. Add some coriander stalksroughly chopped at the end and remove from heat.