April 22, 2012 Posted by Shweta Shanbhag
- Marinate 1 kg of chicken with salt, turmeric and chilli powder for at least an hour
- Take 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add 7-8 dry red chillies, 1 cup grated coconut, 1 tsp poppy seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp coriander seeds, 1 cardamom, 3-4 cloves, 1 inch piece cinnamon, 1 tsp fennel seeds(saunf) 1 inch piece of ginger and 7-8 cloves of garlic, 1 twig (around 10-12) curry leaves and roast them till the masala is cooked. Grind this into a fine paste in grinder
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a vessel and when the oil is hot add 1 Bay leaf , 1tsp mustard seeds,1 tsp cumin seeds. When the mustard seeds start popping, fry 1 large sized onion till brown. Add 1 twig of curry leaves and the ground paste. Add 3 finely chopped tomatoes, 1 tsp red chilli powder, pinch of turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- Add chicken and mix and cook for 5 mins.
- Add two cups of water, juice of 1 small lemon and cover and cook till the chicken is done (This can take upto 20-30 mins). Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve with chapatis or rice.