May 26, 2012 Posted by Shweta Shanbhag
1. Cut 500 gms of paneer into cubes. Sprinkle salt, chilli powder and turmeric on the paneer pieces and keep aside for sometime.
2. Take 2-3 tsp of oil in a pan and saute these paneer pieces till slightly cooked – say 3-4 mins.
3. Remove paneer and keep aside
4. In the same oil, add 1 tsp cumin seeds, 2-3 pepper corns, 2-3 cloves, 1 inch cinammon and saute.
5. Add 1 big onion finely chopped and 1 tsp ginger garlic paste and saute till onion is brown in colour.
6. Add 2 finely chopped tomatoes and let them cook with lid on. After 5 mins add chilli powder (According to taste) and 1 tsp coriander powder, 2-3 cashew nuts finely chopped, add water to the dry mixture and cover lid and let it cook.
7. Now when the mixture looks cooked, remove it from heat. Let it cool a bit and make a fine paste of it in the grinder
8. Again add the paste to the pan and cook it till it comes to a boil. Add the paneer pieces and some kasoori methi (finely crushed in between the palms of your hand) and add salt and sugar according to taste. I also added 2-3 tsp of fresh cream.
9. Cook for 2-3 mins and then remove from heat. Garnish with freshly chopped Coriander leaves and serve with chapatis.
This recipe is heavily inspired from Vah re Vah video. However I avoided the elaborate stuffing and deep frying of paneer for the sake of time/effort.