Bhindi aloo do pyaaza
December 25, 2013 Posted by Shweta Shanbhag
2 medium sized potatoes
1 tsp cumin seeds
Pinch of asafoetida
1 tsp till seeds
1 tsp chilli powder
Pinch of haldi
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp amchur powder
1 tsp garam masala
- Wash and dry 1/2 kg okra and pat dry with a kitchen towel. Trim the ends and cut them into 1 inch pieces and keep aside.
- Wash and pat dry 2 medium sized potatoes, peel off the skin and again cut into cube sized pieces.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and saute the okras and the potatoes till almost cooked. Add some salt while sauteing.Stir occasionally to ensure it doesn’t stick to the pan. Remove the okra and the potatoes and keep aside
- In the same pan, add 1 tsp cumin seeds and a pinch of asafoetida. Add some grated ginger and fry for a minute. Now add 2 onions chopped into thin longish slices and sweat them till they are nice and pink. Add a pinch of salt while doing this. Now add 1 tsp till seeds. Add 1 tsp chilli powder, pinch of haldi, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp amchur powder and 1 tsp garam masala and mix well and fry for 2 mins. Now add the okra and potatoes. I also threw in 1 onion chopped into 4 pieces with the florets separated. Now mix well, cover partially and allow to cook for 10 mins on a slow flame.
- Adjust the salt and serve with chapatis.