Sesame Chicken – Desi Style
April 15, 2015 Posted by Shweta Shanbhag
Was seeing a show on Food Food channel the other day and came across this recipe by Harpal Singh Sokhi. Was intrigued because he mixed Indian spices in a Chinese dish. Had to try it and have to say it turned out to be perfect for the Indian palate.
I like the flavor and crunchiness the till seeds gives to this dish. Kids love to eat the crispy fried chicken before adding it to the gravy and hence remember to reserve some for them.
Here is my recipe for this dish.
Chicken breasts – 500 gmsOnions (medium) -2 , cubed
Red Capsicum -1/2 piece, cubed
Yellow Capsicum – 1/2 piece, cubed
Sesame seeds – 4 tsp
Ginger – 1 inch piece, finely chopped
Garlic – 5-7 cloves, finely chopped
Green chillies -2 , finely chopped
2 tsp chicken masala – I used Kitchen King masala; you can use 1 tsp of garam masala instead
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
2 tsp soya sauce
2 tsp red chilli sauce
1 egg – white separated
2 tsp corn flour
Spring Onion for garnishing
- Cut chicken breasts into long thin slices. Marinate with salt, ginger garlic paste, chicken masala, soya sauce, red chilli sauce for 15-30 mins.
- Now add egg white and cornflour to this mixture and deep fry it in hot oil till crispy brown. Drain the chicken and keep aside.
- Now in a pan, take 2 tsp oil. When the oil is hot, add 2 tsp sesame seeds (till) and roast it till slightly brown. Take care not to burn it.
- Add finely chopped ginger garlic and green chillies and saute for a minute
- Add onions and red and yellow capsicum cut into cubes and saute for 2-3 mins
- Add 1 tsp of red chilli sauce and soya sauce each and mix well.
- Add 1 tsp of chicken masala or 1/2 tsp of garam masala and saute
- Adjust the salt and saute it till the capsicums are cooked. You can add a bit of sugar here in case you prefer the dish to be a bit sweet.
- Add the fried chicken to it and mix well
- Garnish with spring onion and roasted sesame seeds