Sweet and Sour Chicken
February 15, 2015 Posted by Shweta Shanbhag
Very simple recipe and difficult to get this wrong.
250 gms of chicken breasts
1 tsp each of finely chopped ginger, garlic and chilli
2 small carrots
2 onions/Spring Onions
1/3 cup of green, red and yellow bell pepper
3 tsp soya sauce
1 tsp green chilli sauce
1 tsp red chilli sauce
1 tsp finely chopped ginger and garlic
1 tbsp white flour(maida)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tbsp corn starch
1 egg white
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp white vinegar
1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- Clean and wash 250 gms of chicken breasts. Cut them into small 1 inch slices, season with salt and pepper and keep aside.
- As the chicken is marinating, chop 2 small carrots into longish slices. Cut 2 onions into 4 pieces and separate the florets. You can also dice some spring onions. Cut capsicums/bell peppers into small cubes.
- Take 1 tsp soya sauce, 1 tsp green chilli sauce, 1 tsp finely chopped ginger and garlic, 1 tbsp white flour(maida), 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1 tbsp corn starch, 1 egg white and water (as needed) to prepare a fine batter.
- Add the chicken to this batter, coat it well and deep fry in a oil. As the chicken starts getting golden brown and cooked, strain and keep aside.
- Prepare a mixture of 1 tbsp sugar, 1 cup water, 2 tbsp white vinegar, 1 tbsp tomato ketchup, 2 tsp soya sauce, 1 tsp red chilli sauce and 1 tbsp corn starch, mix well and keep aside.
- Now for the sauce, take a wok and add 1 tbsp oil to it. Add 1 tsp each of finely chopped ginger, garlic and chilli. (You can add more of this according to taste)
- Add the cut vegetables and saute this well for 5 mins. Add the sauce, mix well and bring to a good boil. Check if the vegetables are cooked till they are nice and crunch. When almost done add the chicken and cook till all the chicken and vegetables are well coated with the sauce.
- Garnish with spring onions greens and serve.
Note: The original recipe contains pineapple chunks added along with vegetables, but I did not use it.