Singapore Chilli Crabs
July 29, 2014 Posted by Shweta Shanbhag
Looked online for Singapore Chilli crab recipes and came up with this one which is a mish mash of the different elements from recipes found online.
5-6 red chillies
1 inch of ginger
5-6 garlic pods
1 tbsp tomato puree or ketchup
1 tsp white vinegar
2 tsp light soya sauce
2 sticks of lemon grass
Red chilli sauce
Salt and Sugar
- Clean and scrub 3 crabs and crack the legs and claws with a spoon so that the masala can seep in. Keep aside
- Clean and remove the skin of 2 onions and pulse it with 5-6 red chillies to a coarse paste
- Take 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Fry the onion chilli paste till the raw smell of the onions goes off. I grated in 1 inch of ginger and 5-6 garlic pods too into this onion paste and fried it well till cooked.
- Add paste of 2 tomatoes along with 1 tbsp tomato puree or ketchup and saute in the onion mixture. Bring it to a boil.
- Add 1 tsp white vinegar, 2 tsp light soya sauce, salt to taste, pinch of sugar. I also added 2 sticks of lemon grass for additional flavors. You can add some red chilli sauce too in case you prefer it hot.
- When the paste is well cooked, add the crabs and mix well. Add a cup of water to cover the crabs and cover and cook for 15 mins on medium flame.
- Beat an egg in a bowl. Now remove the lid of the crab gravy and add the egg with one hand stirring the gravy with the other. Cook for another 5 mins so that the extra water evaporate
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve